My webpage here is about the former New Hampshire State Hospital, mostly as it existed in the 1890s or early 1900s, not the current state psychiatric hospital. A general air of contentment prevails; everyone is employed in some useful service, and well-cooked food is served from a model kitchen adjacent to a large, cheerful, sunny congregate dining room. It was finally in 1840 deemed best to put the whole institution under the control of 12 trustees, to be appointed by the Governor and council. The last building constructed was the APS building in 1989. The last detached building for patients—the Walker building, named in honor of J. In the year 1910, additions were made to the building for disturbed and actively excited patients.
All actions are in collaboration with the New Hampshire Department of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance. These men cut ice and wood in winter, make maple syrup in the spring, and raise farm crops, eggs and poultry for the entire institution. Much has been done in the culture of small fruits, in the raising of chickens and eggs, as well as the care of stock. The partially self sustaining patients had been associated with more or less incompatible classes for lack of sufficient variety in apartments. In 1855, as before stated, the furnaces which had been previously employed were discarded and appliances for warming the buildings by steam were introduced. 776 have died at the asylum since its opening. Influenced in part, perhaps, by this general sentiment, but feeling deeply the importance of the enterprise, Governor Dinsmore, in his message to the Legislature in June, 1832, thus called attention to the condition of the insane: With this some 250 volumes of standard works, well suited to the purpose intended, were procured.
It embodies most of the advanced ideas pertaining to the custody of highly excited patients prevailing at the time of its erection, and is still well abreast of the present period in this respect.
The first of these, in order of construction, was the Kent building, erected in 1867. The first “New Hampshire Asylum for the Insane” was built in 1842, though it’s name was changed to the “New Hampshire State Hospital” in 1901. As the public interest in the subject deepened, a settled conviction was formed in leading minds that the state should take the initiative in whatever measures might be adopted. Dr. McFarland was succeeded by Dr. John E. Tyler, who held the office for a period of about four years and a half. This was suggested partly by the need of additional room on the female side of the asylum and partly by a desire on the part of the friends of a somewhat limited class of patients in the state for more ample accommodations and a more private life than is usually found practicable at institutions for the insane. In the following year a resolution was introduced appropriating 25 bank shares for the asylum for the insane, but it was defeated. Its accommodations were first increased, in 1860, by an addition of some 36 feet upon the west; an additional story was put upon it in 1879.
She returned to Concord in 1845, where she died. In 1883 the asylum received a legacy of $1000 from the estate of Miss H. Louise Penhallow, of Portsmouth. He married Mrs. Sarah, the young widow of Benjamin Rolfe, and a daughter of the Rev. The Medical Surgical Building had three Surgical Rooms on the top floor as well as full autoclave capabilities to keep instruments sterile. Some five years later a legacy of $202.10 was paid to the asylum by the executors of Horace Hall, of Charlestown. A further 1,139 persons under care and treatment, but who did not fully recover mental health, left the institution for care in family settings. It is drawn upon daily for about 50,000 gallons, and is capable of yielding a much larger supply. State Of New Hampshire's practice location is: … The important additions since made have resulted from numerous smaller and later gifts. Upon the opening of the session of 1834 Governor Badger warmly urged in his message the importance of taking some measures for alleviating the existing conditions of the insane. This collection of books, now containing about 1800 volumes, is of great value as a curative agency in the treatment of large numbers of convalescent and mildly affected patients.
Mrs. Mary Danforth, of Boscawen, who also died in 1852, after making other specific bequests, left to the asylum the residuum of her estate. From this estate the institution received $149,414, which sum, increased by a small addition derived from accrued interest now constitutes the present Kent fund of $150,000. The hospital also has a detailed protocol around how we will handle any staff or patients who have tested positive for COViD-19.NH Hospital’s Emergency Response Team continues to be activated. Very young and new to the field staff which is problematic, but overall good facility." Mr. Joseph Walker, of Concord, for 60 years one of the trustees of the hospital, was a lineal descendant of the minister, Timothy Walker, and he now lives in the house which was occupied by Timothy Walker himself.